Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Intentions

Because calling them resolutions would be far too predictable...pedestrian even.

Shock of all shocks, we're a household trying to get healthier. I have 11,000 excuses for why things imploded in 2014. Too much stress. Too many excuses. But 2014 ended with some significantly positive life changes and now that we've settled into a new normal we can tackle this next phase of life.

In the vein of - it's only a good idea to Arden if it's her idea - she has taken to helping in meal planning. It's been one week. And two meals. She loved one and snubbed her nose at the other. We're using the Skinnytaste website because her meals are very well balanced, there is a huge variety and the site is so well organized it's easy to search for things.

Meal 1 - Lunch! This was a super easy recipe for A's lunches that she seems to love. D likes them too - so they'll likely make it to the dinner rotation. And I will make myself something else ;).

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/10/baked-buffalo-chicken-nuggets.html

Meal 2 - Tonight's dinner was an odd choice for a 9 year old. I haven't the faintest idea what triggered her to want it. Lemon? Ginger? She tasted it, declared it would be better without the lemon, and opted for mozzarella/tomato/avocado salad instead. She humored me by eating some bites of chicken and asparagus. Mostly because she wanted a cookie. 

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/chicken-and-asparagus-lemon-stir-fry.html

To my surprise - the pickiest of us all when it comes to new things - the spouse - loved this dish. I liked it. I might ease up a bit on the lemon juice next time. I made rice to help absorb some of the lemony/gingery pow. 

Of note, meal planning is a PITA and did not save us one dime this week. Surely I'll get better at it. Because right now ...




No comments:

Post a Comment